Have you had enough of beer and brats yet this week? How about cheese? No? Good.
All this talk about football this week has me anxious for Sunday’s big game. Not because of the football. Because of the food. And Katy Perry.
I’m wrapping up this year’s Super Bowl posts with a tasty beer brat chili. This is my first time making chili with beer but I like the flavor that comes from the beer and the brats. It’s a slightly different texture from using ground beef but it has all sorts of good flavors.
Here’s what I suggest: topping this off with a bit of cheese and green onions. Perfection!
If you’re looking for a little more inspiration for football foods, try these:
- 1 lb. Bratwurst
- Â½ red pepper, Â½”diced
- 1 medium Spanish onion, Â½” diced
- 2 teaspoons Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper (puree chipotle pepper from a can)
- Â½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cloves chopped garlic
- 8 oz. beer (I used Guinness)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1- 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained
- 1- 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â¼ teaspoon pepper
- Â½ cup sliced green onion
- Remove the brats from the casings and crumble into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat a 2-quart stockpot over medium heat, sautÃ© brat crumbles until brown and cooked. Drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except green onions and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and cook for 1 hour. Fold in green onions.